Sunday, November 25, 2012

My kit

A few years ago, My school district sponsored Dr. Judy Montgomery to come and talk to all the SLP's that worked in our district.  One of the things that she really stressed was that we needed to follow a program in our therapy.  It didn't have to be one that you bought, but it needed to be something that was consistent and systematic.  She suggested that if you put all your items for your therapy sessions in a box or kit and you used the items every time, you had created your own program.

I have taken her advice to heart.  I don't use a box.  Instead I use a 3 ring binder with plastic bags, so that I can easily carry my materials from class to class.
It's blurry on purpose.  On the outside of the notebook, I keep my schedule.  It helps me both keep track of where I'm supposed to be when, but I can't tell you how many times people ask me about my schedule, and I honestly can't remember when I see who when.


I also keep my schedule on Microsoft outlook, which is nice for scheduling re occurring  appointments like therapy sessions. But that's also where  I  schedule things like IEP's, SAT meeting, and Parent teacher conferences.  I print out my weekly schedule to give me more detail on my availability at any given time.  In the pockets I keep my data sheets.


I got this idea from Pinterest.  I use ziploc type plastic bags.  I used duct tape at the bottom and punched holes so I could put the bag in the notebook.  They've held up pretty well.






In my notebook, I carry everything I need for my lesson:  A book, sentence strips, paper puppets, pictures for my song.  My lesson follows the same routine routine every single session:
1) book
2)Review of vocabulary /Direction following (using the paper puppets)
3) Song
4) Reread the book
5) practice sentences with targeted vocabulary using  a sentence strip

I adjust in complexity and requirements for each students based on each level.




No comments:

Post a Comment