Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I ain't gonna paint no more....

So I was going to post this last December.  But immediately after the Sandy Hook tragedy, I faced  a personal tragedy myself.  I didn't know it at the time, but two days before the shooting a friend of mine had killed himself.
My Christmas Holiday was spent dealing with the grief of losing a dear friend.  And the spring semester got so busy that I didn't get back to blogging.  But since I'm back, and I thought I would finish this post.  Following is a post I had meant for before the Christmas Holiday:

I change out my books every few weeks or so. I held on to my last unit for longer than I wanted, but between parent teacher conferences, and the Thanksgiving Holiday it just didn't seem like a good time to switch. But things should calm down until our winter Holiday. So for the next 3 or so weeks, I will use a different book.

I Ain't Gonna Paint No More is an adorable little story about a little boy, who has been banned from painting anymore. But that doesn't stop him, and he begins to paint his entire body.



My target vocabulary book is as follows:  Head, neck, arm, hand, chest, back, legs, feet, and paint. Many of my kids will already know most if not all of there body parts (although I have few who don't.) We will talk about what with our body parts, and I will be looking for them to be able to tell me from session to session what they can do with their body parts.

Next we will do our song.  Instead of body parts, we will work on colors, to keep the theme of painting.  I found this song just doing a google search for preschool songs about colors:

Rainbow Song 
Sung to the Tune of "Hush Little Baby"
Author Unknown
Rainbow purple
Rainbow blue
Rainbow green
And yellow too
Rainbow orange
Rainbow red
Rainbow shining over head.

For finger play I will use the ASL signs for rainbow and for the colors. Because I have many kids who's first language is Spanish I will also sing a loosely translated version in Spanish.

If you have a subscription to lessonpix.com  you can access my cue cards for the Rainbow Song.
I was unable to make public my pictures for the body parts, because I uploaded an internet picture for chest.  But they are easy to make yourself on lessonpix. 




2 comments: